Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello i have an 04 6.0 edge evolution CS, 5 inch straightpipe, AFE Intake Stage 2 and a CFM Largemouth Intake. I've just started hitting highs of 220's on my oil temp and 190-205 on engine coolant! Do you think i have a bad EGR or my oil cooler is plugged? Or both? I'd figure i'm going to buy a new oil cooler and get an EGR delete! Another thing is i've been loosing a lot of coolant but no signs of white smoke from tailpipe or drops of coolant from tailpipe!
Thank You,
Ricky

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Hello i have an 04 6.0 edge evolution CS, 5 inch straightpipe, AFE Intake Stage 2 and a CFM Largemouth Intake. I've just started hitting highs of 220's on my oil temp and 190-205 on engine coolant! Do you think i have a bad EGR or my oil cooler is plugged? Or both? I'd figure i'm going to buy a new oil cooler and get an EGR delete! Another thing is i've been loosing a lot of coolant but no signs of white smoke from tailpipe or drops of coolant from tailpipe!
Thank You,
Ricky
First thing I would do is disconnect the EDGE and scan the truck for codes. If the truck returns to normal, then the EDGE is to much for your truck. There is the possibility that the oil cooler is causing some loss of coolant. Check your oil, if it's milky then you have coolant in your oil system. It might not be your oil cooler, a through investigation is in order!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
First thing I would do is disconnect the EDGE and scan the truck for codes. If the truck returns to normal, then the EDGE is to much for your truck. There is the possibility that the oil cooler is causing some loss of coolant. Check your oil, if it's milky then you have coolant in your oil system. It might not be your oil cooler, a through investigation is in order!
I dont think that would help much! I bought my truck used with 130,000 miles. I've currently had my Edge for almost a year now and this started happening. I would think its just the matter of time of excessive hard work i'm putting to the truck would cause this! :4-dontknow:

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
On a second note. You may have to bulletproofing your 6.0l. This is after you determine all is fine. This would mean head studs an EGR delete or upgrade depending on where you live, and the emissions laws in that area. The reason I say this is that your run a considerable amount of risk of a 6.0l "oh no" if you don't! The FICM is the most neglected brain that is not tuned, I don't think the EDGE will have that capability.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I dont think that would help much! I bought my truck used with 130,000 miles. I've currently had my Edge for almost a year now and this started happening. I would think its just the matter of time of excessive hard work i'm putting to the truck would cause this! :4-dontknow:
I'm starting to get confused by your posts. The first one on another thread being about a smoke switch, and then this one? It would have been great information to know that you have had the EDGE for a year.

However; disconnect it and see if the truck runs normal and scan for codes. The EDGE programer has been known to cause problems. I'd still like to recommend that your check your oil for coolant.

There is a possibility that the switch caused an issue and the EDGE programer is fine.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
On a second note. You may have to bulletproofing your 6.0l. This is after you determine all is fine. This would mean head studs an EGR delete or upgrade depending on where you live, and the emissions laws in that area. The reason I say this is that your run a considerable amount of risk of a 6.0l "oh no" if you don't! The FICM is the most neglected brain that is not tuned, I don't think the EDGE will have that capability.
I have been thinking about bulletproofing my truck! Which include the egr, head studs, gaskets, oil cooler and etc. And yes that is true about the FICM!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm starting to get confused by your posts. The first one on another thread being about a smoke switch, and then this one? It would have been great information to know that you have had the EDGE for a year.

However; disconnect it and see if the truck runs normal and scan for codes. The EDGE programer has been known to cause problems. I'd still like to recommend that your check your oil for coolant.

There is a possibility that the switch caused an issue and the EDGE programer is fine.
Sorry about that but no the switch did not cause any of this! My temps have been high for couple of weeks now but i'm just new to this forum and started posting posts

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Sorry about that but no the switch did not cause any of this! My temps have been high for couple of weeks now but i'm just new to this forum and started posting posts
Test the accuracy of your gauge and then start testing your coolant system. Starting with your thermostat and water pump.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Any updates?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Yes thanks for asking!
My oil cooler was plugged! replaced that with a new oil cooler and a egr delete!
Havent seen both my eot & ect pass 190 on either one.:smileup:
runs a lot better too!
Good to See this. I know I sent you on a wild goose chase, but it's not easy to diagnose a vehicle on a forum. I usually start with the basics first, and then work my way to the expensive stuff. 9X out of ten it has always been something small or easy to fix.

:smileup:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts