Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey everybody,

I have a 2001 dodge ram 2500 with a 5.9l Magnum.. i hate it.. i want to swap the engine for a cummins. what all would i have to do to get that accomplished in that truck..and by the way it has an automatic tranny engine..and also if i can swap engines if i wanted to put a newer or older model cummins in the truck is that possible?

Thanks everyone

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to diesel forums
Glad your here.. Enjoy your stay

·
Registered
935 Posts
Welcome to dieselforums.
Yes it is possable. Are you wanting to do a 12valve or 24 valve? That will determine the amount of electrical wiring in the swap.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I agree with 97. Make your decision based on the amount of time and finances your willing to sacrifice to do the swap. Otherwise it will be less of a head ache to just go by a Cummins powered Ram.

Because here is what your looking at.
You will need to have another truck with a cummins sitting next to yours to compare.

You will need to look at motor mounts.
Transmissions, are they the same? If not get the right one, and then make sure the transmission mounts are correct.
Wiring, You may have to replace the wiring harness including taking away the CPU, and if your getting a 24 valve you will need a CPU for the 24 valve. (I like the 24valve)

Those are my answers for you. It's your truck you nobody can tell you what you can or cannot do. Anything is possible if your willing to do a little work.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts