Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 06 cummins with a new built trans and edge juice. Since i had it installed the egt's will jump from around 400-450 to 1350 in about one city block. Is this normal? I just installed a K&N thinking it may need to breathe a little more and I also removed the muffler (cat had to stay since colorado doesn't like black smoke to much). What else can I do if this is not normal? I had 4 wheel parts install the juice and the EGT probe is closer to the back of the exhaust man than the front. From everything I have read that seems right.Since it is my first diesel you could say i am some what of a diesel virgin.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
stock exhaust? something doesnt sound right here. what setting is the edge on?

also dont forget to stop by the newbie area and introduce yourself. I have made it simple. just click the following link and make an introductory thread

http://www.dieselforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=9

also being from colorado as well send a PM to Rattlesnake18 (jeff) he can guide you to events we got going on in Colorado

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
First off, take off the edge unit! Your truck is not ready for it! Your exhaust is part of the problem, and so is the intake. Then if by chance your able to get the right system in place the edge will be out the door. and you might want to look into getting a smarty.

·
Registered
935 Posts
What did the inside of the cat look like when you put it back on? Could be plugged?Also what level is your edge set on?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have a 06 cummins with a new built trans and edge juice. Since i had it installed the egt's will jump from around 400-450 to 1350 in about one city block. Is this normal? I just installed a K&N thinking it may need to breathe a little more and I also removed the muffler (cat had to stay since colorado doesn't like black smoke to much). What else can I do if this is not normal? I had 4 wheel parts install the juice and the EGT probe is closer to the back of the exhaust man than the front. From everything I have read that seems right.Since it is my first diesel you could say i am some what of a diesel virgin.
Thanks for any help.
There are two thigns that will help you out, the biggest thing is get rid of the edge and get a smarty. Edge tuners run hot in the common rail dodges, smarty is hands down the best tuner to use in any dodge 03+.

Secondly your cat is a "small" problem, getting rid of it would help a bit. The factory turbo's have a very small exhaust houseing thats gives reduced turbo lag and has the downside of running fairly hot. Oh and btw since 04.5+ dodges have a 4" exhaust from the factory. Your cat also has nothing to do with black smoke, thats all fuel/air. Drive with a lighter foot to control your smoke.

And in my personal opinion stay far away from k&n, they have a very bad track record in diesels.

Reactions: Rustin

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Reps given!

There are two thigns that will help you out, the biggest thing is get rid of the edge and get a smarty. Edge tuners run hot in the common rail dodges, smarty is hands down the best tuner to use in any dodge 03+.

Secondly your cat is a "small" problem, getting rid of it would help a bit. The factory turbo's have a very small exhaust houseing thats gives reduced turbo lag and has the downside of running fairly hot. Oh and btw since 04.5+ dodges have a 4" exhaust from the factory. Your cat also has nothing to do with black smoke, thats all fuel/air. Drive with a lighter foot to control your smoke.

And in my personal opinion stay far away from k&n, they have a very bad track record in diesels.
X2 he put it in better terms then I did!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts