Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I have a question. I was wondering if it safe to run my edge evolution on level 2 for daily driving? Ive heard horror stories on the edge and how the 4r100 trans cant handle it.the only mods I have on my truck is the edge evolution,muffler delete,and k&n air fter(stock airbox) which I plan on ditching for maybe a DIY LOL. Thanks!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
That depends on what tune level 2 is? If it's just one of their can tunes like a tow tune, it may not harm your truck. I wouldn't know I have never used one and don't plan on it. I have seen nothing but trouble come out of one of those units.

The transmission is one of the most neglected systems on any vehicle, when doing performance modifications. So, please be careful.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The tune I know has three canned tunes on it, tow (level1), race (level2), and extreme (level 3). Before I bought the truck not to long ago the edge was already in it and the guy always used the tow tune. Since I have had the truck I been testing out level 1 or 2 for daily driving and which one has better fuel economy, but then I started looking at what people think of the edge and it was nothing but bad. So i have been just running stock for a couple months and just watching gauges.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
That would be the best thing to do. Tow tune is their only good tune. So keep watching your gauges and find out from EDGE if there are any software updates. Other then that DP has a chip and SCT has a really good system for the old 7.3l Do consider upgrading your transmission before doing any more modifications and or ECU changes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i just hooked mine up last night and drove around on estream for a day everything stayed completly normal no issues obviously i detuned it down now but i got mine set on "tow" now,where did you see all this bad stuff about edge everything i read they were the saffest an preformed the best on the 7.3,main reason i bought mine

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I googled edge and some other forums were going off about how your trans wont last long and to upgrade it. I kindve think to if you keep your foot out of it that u wont really have a problem.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
i just hooked mine up last night and drove around on estream for a day everything stayed completly normal no issues obviously i detuned it down now but i got mine set on "tow" now,where did you see all this bad stuff about edge everything i read they were the saffest an preformed the best on the 7.3,main reason i bought mine
EDGE has not been well liked in Fords. Race tune might be fine. However; every truck is different. If you start to experience issues take off the EDGE and see if everything gets better, if you haven't destroyed something.

Stock Ford transmissions really can't handle any substantial horsepower gains. No matter what type of ECU enhancements you use.

I googled edge and some other forums were going off about how your trans wont last long and to upgrade it. I kindve think to if you keep your foot out of it that u wont really have a problem.
Keep googling you will find more. The unfortunate thing is EDGE Keeps getting a beating. They have a good idea it's just not a quality unit.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hmm news to me mt trucks all stock and just hooking that up it made a huge difference it rips retty hard but im not one to beat on mine the only reason i bought mine was for better towing not that i need it because its pulled everything i have ever had with no problems,but that extra bit if i need it will be nice,if i wanna go fast i have my bike lol,but i plan on making a ton more upgrades in the future mostly the basics and all,did it say it was the auto trans that it kept messing up or what,i mean the way i look at it every one that i know personally that has a diesel they all have programmers and all and beat the piss outta there truck so im not gonna just bash one programmer from another,imo its all about your setup and your driving,a friend of mine has a 99 7.3 with edge programmer and some other mods had it for few years and hes got 290,xxx miles and still runs strong as can be and hes had the programmer in it most of its life

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
hmm news to me mt trucks all stock and just hooking that up it made a huge difference it rips retty hard but im not one to beat on mine the only reason i bought mine was for better towing not that i need it because its pulled everything i have ever had with no problems,but that extra bit if i need it will be nice,if i wanna go fast i have my bike lol,but i plan on making a ton more upgrades in the future mostly the basics and all,did it say it was the auto trans that it kept messing up or what,i mean the way i look at it every one that i know personally that has a diesel they all have programmers and all and beat the piss outta there truck so im not gonna just bash one programmer from another,imo its all about your setup and your driving,a friend of mine has a 99 7.3 with edge programmer and some other mods had it for few years and hes got 290,xxx miles and still runs strong as can be and hes had the programmer in it most of its life
Good to read. Not everyone experiences problems with the units. And to answer your question yes most of the problems with the fords were the automatic Transmission. However it has caused High EGT for some weird reason in some of the Rams.

I have connections with J & H diesel performance they won't sell the EDGE system. G & J diesel performance, the owner of DirtyMax? They will not cary the EDGE system. My list can continue. EDGE needs to step up to the plate and make something better then EFILive, SCT, Spartan, PPE, SMARTY, and the new H & S tuners.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Good to read. Not everyone experiences problems with the units. And to answer your question yes most of the problems with the fords were the automatic Transmission. However it has caused High EGT for some weird reason in some of the Rams.

I have connections with J & H diesel performance they won't sell the EDGE system. G & J diesel performance, the owner of DirtyMax? They will not cary the EDGE system. My list can continue. EDGE needs to step up to the plate and make something better then EFILive, SCT, Spartan, PPE, SMARTY, and the new H & S tuners.
wow im really dissapointed about buying mine,i dident read anything bad about them so i stopped looking kinda wish i wouldent have now,i have a 5spd with a low "granny" gear but my EGT's normal driving on lv1 on freway at 70 stays about 580 and when i had lvl 3 ripping on it doing 85-95(closed course) was only climbing to 1300ish but it was also 95* out

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
wow im really dissapointed about buying mine,i dident read anything bad about them so i stopped looking kinda wish i wouldent have now,i have a 5spd with a low "granny" gear but my EGT's normal driving on lv1 on freway at 70 stays about 580 and when i had lvl 3 ripping on it doing 85-95(closed course) was only climbing to 1300ish but it was also 95* out
Thats actually not to bad. You might be a rare case.
I also have a ZF-6 M/T like you. So we are a bit different then most of the trucks out there.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Chips are ok. But I always feel like we are going back in the 80s using archaic and dated technology. But it appears that their are some decent chip burners. I will not endorse any of them.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts