Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Newbie looking for help.
I'm looking to buy a used (2002-2007) International 4000 series to haul a fifth wheel. Most I see on the web have the DT466 engine. According to the specs I checked http://www.astleford.com/pdf/dt466dt530brochure.pdf) the engine has the same bore & stroke for a range of standard HP/torque configurations from 195/520 to 230/620.
My question is, to what extent are the differences mechanical, and to what extent can they be computer re-rated? If I can find a DT530 or 570, it won't matter, but in non-CDL MD trucks (26000 GVWR & down) I'm not seeing them. I'm hoping some of the difference is computer-controlled.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
well the powerstrokes in the superduties's are V8's not inline 6. They are known as the T444E. You would have better luck finding a medium duty ford with a powerstroke, the DT466, a cat or a cummins. is the medium duty what you looking for or an F250/F350?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well the powerstrokes in the superduties's are V8's not inline 6. They are known as the T444E. You would have better luck finding a medium duty ford with a powerstroke, the DT466, a cat or a cummins. is the medium duty what you looking for or an F250/F350?
Actually, I'm looking at International 4000 series MDTs to haul a fifth wheel. With an flatbed MDT of this type you can get a 169" wheelbase, similar to a long wheelbase PU, with cab-axle 102". Room for the fifth wheel and, in my case, a full size cruiser + dirt bike, side by each behind the cab. The cab-axle for PU would be 84". The MDT with 152" WB gives CA of 84". The MDT is more maneuverable as well. Wheel cut 55-60 deg.
I started with the idea of the long WB pickup, but it only has room for 1 bike. Kind of evolved to here.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
so you are lookin at getting an F650 or a medium duty international then. you can get a 4 door international that would suit your needs as well

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
so you are lookin at getting an F650 or a medium duty international then. you can get a 4 door international that would suit your needs as well
Right. But that adds to the length & I don't need the room.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
ok. well check both of lines out. the international would probably be the best bet since it will most likely have the motor you want.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's the truck I'm after. Just happens to have the DT series, almost always the 466. I could go Freightliner, but those are mostly Cat C7s, with a few MBE 900s & Cummins 5.9s. I like the wet sleeve DTs.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Welcome to DF

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks to posters. I've moved on in my thinking and no longer considering this vehicle.
Anyone with good advice on a Volvo 610 HDT?
Happy motoring.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Welcome to DF from Colorado.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts