Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Towing results for the 2012 Dodge DRW 3500 Longhorn, High Output 6.7 Cummings, Max Tow, Mega Cab, automatic transmission with 4.10 gears. So, this thing should be the travel trailer hauler’s dream. Well, here is my comparison review of the above truck’s capability. I made my first tow with it last week and the truck drives nice and is quieter than the 2011 Duramax Denali that I traded in for it. The Dodge has many more amenities on the inside, like the 20 Gig HD, Voice Activated Calling, more leather (doors, dash and rear seats) and cool floor mats that incorporate carpet and a barbed wire design together. The Dodge takes more than 10 times longer to warm the fuel and start; but, I can live with that. I have to remember to let it idle for up to 5 minutes after pulling with it and I can still live with that. The thing that really bugs me though is that this is Dodge’s Max Tow design and it does not pull like the Duramax. I was pulling a 38’ Holiday Rambler Toy Hauler. It weighs ~15,000 and is ~13’ tall. So, this can be a bit of a challenge to haul. I never found a hill that the Duramax would not maintain speed on. However, the Max Tow Dodge is a different story. On multiple hills in Oregon and Washington, it would not maintain speed. More than once, I was down into 3rd gear just trying to make 40 MPH. **** And, this is Dodge’s Max Tow Rig ---Really***** The 2011 Denali was stock that I had before this because I was not able to find a programmer for it. But, Bully Dog and several others have programmers for the 6.7 Cummings. So, I have a Bully Dog on the Dodge. It makes a difference. While pulling a hill in 4th gear, foot to the floor and loosing speed, I stepped up the program. Finally, at the “extreme” mode, it started to creep up the speed. However, the exhaust temperature started climbing very rapidly from ~1000 deg F. up to 1250 and still climbing fast, so I detuned it and just drove 55 mph in the 70 mph traffic. The Mileage was comparable to the Duramax which got 8-11 MPG pulling this trailer. I got 8 MPG going to the destination which is ~ 4000 feet of elevation gain over a 190 mile trip. The return trip was 9.6 MPG. As always, better milage going downhill. J The Dodge now has ~1100 miles on it and has already had the check engine light come on with two codes (P0868 – low transmission pressure and P24A0 – DFP something ???). Anyway, adding 3 pints of Type 4 ATF cleared up the transmission issue and the DPF finally burned off. So, the codes are clear now. Well, actually, I hope the codes are clear. I did an uninstall on the Bully Dog and the codes did not show back up. I was going to take it back to the dealer and ask them to check out the codes. But, they are gone.
Conclusion, the Longhorn is a nice ride; but, it falls short of its “classification” as a Max Tow vehicle. I was well under the 30,000 combined weight rating and the High Output 800 ft-lbs of torque just didn’t maintain highway speed. It was kinda funny when I pulled into a dealership in Oregon to have some fluid added to the transmission; a sales man came out and asked if he could help. I explained that I had a new pickup that was low on fluid. I was actually looking at a similar truck on their lot while I waited and the salesman said “you can load that truck up and start at the bottom of Cabbage Hill and be doing 80 MPH by the time you get to the top.” I explained that I had just traveled Cabbage Hill and the same truck I have would not maintain highway speed much less 80 MPH. In fact, I felt the 2011 Duramax I traded in for this truck would pull the Dodge and trailer better than the Dodge pulled the trailer. His response was to have service check out the motor, because something must be wrong. I was LOL. I know I can start changing the intake and exhaust systems to allow the truck to “breath” and I should have plenty of power. But, come on guys – this is just downright disappointing to have to do.
This is my first Dodge. And after this trip, i guess that the jury is still out for my Dodge experience. But, it is not looking good.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Thats quite a write up, and it is obviously an unfortunate experience.

The one problem I always see is installing a programmer on a new truck. It never works out well.

The next thing is the break in period. It could last over 100,000 miles. So just keep driving it normally, it takes heat to break it in. The next thing is do allow Ram to continue to test it. If it becomes to much of a problem make them buy it back in the next month or sooner. It might be programming in the ECM?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rustin, I like the truck. But, it is not living up to its expectations. You peaked my interest with the "buy it back" statement. Obviously you know something here that i do not. How does this work? I would prefer to have the truck work rather than get rid of it so soon.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Rustin, I like the truck. But, it is not living up to its expectations. You peaked my interest with the "buy it back" statement. Obviously you know something here that i do not. How does this work? I would prefer to have the truck work rather than get rid of it so soon.
It has to do with the lemon laws in your state. The burden of proof will fall on you. You have to keep bringing in the truck for every problem that it creates (provided it's still under warrantee). If you show that the truck does not live up to the manufacturer standard and it is not considered normal performance by the dealer then you have a claim.

Here is the Caveat; Do not modify the truck what so ever!

You just keep taking it in, and complain of the lack of power and higher then normal fuel consumption.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rustin, Ahhhh, i understand that path. Thank you for taking time to respond. Turns out that i certified years ago as an arbitrator for the BBB, who at the time managed the Lemon Law in Idaho and Utah. And, I determined Lemon Law applications/rulings. You are correct in the burden of proof statement. It is rather simple, come to the arbitration with a big stack of service requests, a long list of issues and a proven track record for the dealerships inability to fix the issue and a buy back is initiated. I am really not interested in spending a few hundred hours at a dealership, to and from the dealership and much of the time without my daily driver.

Either they identify a fix rather quickly or I will simply convert back to a GM product (Likely a ’13 3500 Denali). I will however publicize my disappointment – should it come to that. And likewise, I will publicize my satisfaction if this simple issue can be fixed.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Rustin, Ahhhh, i understand that path. Thank you for taking time to respond. Turns out that i certified years ago as an arbitrator for the BBB, who at the time managed the Lemon Law in Idaho and Utah. And, I determined Lemon Law applications/rulings. You are correct in the burden of proof statement. It is rather simple, come to the arbitration with a big stack of service requests, a long list of issues and a proven track record for the dealerships inability to fix the issue and a buy back is initiated. I am really not interested in spending a few hundred hours at a dealership, to and from the dealership and much of the time without my daily driver.

Either they identify a fix rather quickly or I will simply convert back to a GM product (Likely a ’13 3500 Denali). I will however publicize my disappointment – should it come to that. And likewise, I will publicize my satisfaction if this simple issue can be fixed.
Your welcome. I hope you find a remedy. I say Video and youtube is your friend.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Video and youtube, aye. I agree. Hopefully Dodge will come through and just get this thing working like it should and i won't have to make video. Somehow a bald guy in a Dodge... But, a bald pushing a Dodge has merit. LOL

On another note, you said a programmer on a new truck never works out well. I have had good experience with diesel programmers on my new trucks. Just not this one. The programmer does improve the power to where it should be on this truck. But, without modifying the intake and exhaust, it retains too much heat when pulling and the exhaust manifold temperature starts climbing pretty quick.

Anyway - thanks again,

mark

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
On another note, you said a programmer on a new truck never works out well. I have had good experience with diesel programmers on my new trucks. Just not this one. The programmer does improve the power to where it should be on this truck. But, without modifying the intake and exhaust, it retains too much heat when pulling and the exhaust manifold temperature starts climbing pretty quick.

Anyway - thanks again,

mark
Your most welcome Mark! What I highlighted is the key to why programmers and new trucks don't always mix. The other underlying fact is that while under warranty you're in jeopardy of voiding it if the dealer and manufacturer suspect that you're tampering with the ECU. It really depends on what the manufacturers stance on the use of controllers. It's should be stipulated in your Warranty. The other factor is that you have to modify the exhaust and intake systems to fully experience any considerable gains from a good controller. Thus keeping the temperatures down. For example; In some trucks "Edge" systems are notorious in causing high EGT and making Cummins trucks go into a limp mode to protect it's self, Even if they are mildly modified.

Keep us posted on your truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Should anyone care to know and as it turns out, the Bullydog programmer actually detunes the Cummings 2012 HO motor. I expect that it will work fine on the 650 ft-lb torque motor. But, it sure does not work well with the 800 ft-lb torque motor. I have done extensive testing and am sending the programmer back. So, bottom line is the truck pulls way better without the programmer than it does with it.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I figured that might have been the problem. Thanks for the update. Better tuners will becoming soon. I would look into EFILive for more detailed tuning or a Smarty. H & S Is starting to get better. However like I stated earlier wait till the warranty has lifted before modifying anything.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts