Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys. First post here. Ive been wanting a diesel for years and now its time. I currently and have for years worked with a gas truck. I currently tow a small 6x12 enclosed work trailer. average weight aprox 3500 lbs. My Chev with even a new rebuild balanced 454 aprox 450hp and 500 trq get horrible mileage. I run aprox 500 miles a week 50% in town 50% freeway. I am wondering which diesel to go with power is not as a concern as mileage. Ive got tons of great trucks to choose from . lots of great deals on 04 and 05 ford 6.0 powerstokes. I know this is a general question But I need some help. My neioghbor is a diesel guy but he has a ford wants a dodge and likes the way a chev rides. So anyway my bigggest concern is MPG .
gas truck gets
12 fwy towing.....6-7 in city towing
13-14 fwy not towing 10 or so city not towing
what kind of imporvments over this can I possibly expect on a diesel. Please help. thanks

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i would say from everything i have read the leader in fuel mileage in the past with diesels has been dodge, currently all bets are off... i am not sure where they all stand on mileage. but my guess would still be the dodge.

i mean the best truck out there would be the ford with a cummins motor from the dodge and the allison from the gm... that would be epic, but its kinda costly to do that.

my suggestion is to go drive all 3 and that will tell you which is best for you, all 3 are sure to get better mileage then the big block chevy motor

expect better fuel mileage, better towing capabilities, and towing fuel mileage, longer lifespan, and being able to hang out at the cool kids table at lunch ;)

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
On the contrary! A GMC DuraMax will get you excellent fuel economy! Provided you have some good tuning software. The cummins would be second tied with an old 7.3l I say tied because the old 7.3L is not that great with economy but it has great power to weight ratio rides nice and is a lot nicer then a RAM. Plus I'm biased over the RAM truck. I'm not biased over the Cummins power-plant. It is an all around excellent power-plant!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
IDK Rustin, i would have to disagree. I know a few people with the cummins that consistently get over 20mpg, a lot more then us 7.3 guys...

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
IDK Rustin, i would have to disagree. I know a few people with the cummins that consistently get over 20mpg, a lot more then us 7.3 guys...
I may have misrepresented my post earlier Zombie?:4-dontknow: I thought I posted the Cummins RAM being second with economy. I did say tied with the 7.3l only because of its power to weight ratio, which I should have said torque to wight ratio. And after a bit of thought, It has neither those qualities. So I say the 7.3l because I'm biased. And I will admit I'm wrong. You and I know the 7.3l does a decent job with economy for its size. But not a well enough job versus the 5.9 ISB or 5.9 ISB common rail. The DMAX all you have to do is use EFI live and Find a savvy tuner and you have a contender. Provided you do a few changes and modifications.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
lol

in all honesty, IMHO, my father had an 07 duramax and while it was a great motor and trans i hated the body and suspension. the body never felt solid, never felt like the doors closed like the superduties etc. i hated the cheap quality plastic interior etc, he had 30,000 miles on it and the black started wearing off the stereo knob and buttons, and leather on steering wheel and seats started to split... just IMHO lack of QA/QC

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
The best fuel mileage I got out of all the diesel I have owned was an 03 Duramax 6spd. Next in line was my 01 Cummins 6spd.

This is out of 2 6.0 Powerstrokes, 2 5.9 Cummins and a Duramax.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
MPG?

so what are you guys getting. I really am hoping to get 12 mpg in city and 16 to 18 fwy...I am not a lead foot I drive pretty conservative my work trailer isnt very heavy 3500 to 4000 tops but really looking to just get out of the gas game.

what do you guys think of the 03-05 super dutys with the 6.0 there are tons of them available here for some really great prices. alot with low miles too. any major issues with the 6.0

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
so what are you guys getting. I really am hoping to get 12 mpg in city and 16 to 18 fwy...I am not a lead foot I drive pretty conservative my work trailer isnt very heavy 3500 to 4000 tops but really looking to just get out of the gas game.

what do you guys think of the 03-05 super dutys with the 6.0 there are tons of them available here for some really great prices. alot with low miles too. any major issues with the 6.0
This is a good question for this thread! If you're going with a six liter, do your homework and ask the "DEALER" not the salesmen some serious questions. Chances are they won't have any clue as to the history of the truck. So if you decide to get one make sure that it has the head studs in, and all recalls have been fulfilled. Then you might wan't to see about putting some longevity parts on it. Me personally the 03.5 to early 04 are the trucks to get. They have the similar HPOP (high pressure oil pump) as the 7.3l. I happen to know just the man that can make you an excellent pump. If you live in an emissions state? I do know of a manufacturer that makes the best EGR system. You will have to PM me for the info. Unless some of the venders on here can sell the equipment I'm talking about. One of the vendors might wan't to pm me?:4-dontknow: I'm not out to step on any toes. :att: The 6.0 might get you the economy you're looking for. It has the potential for good performance. It's just plagued by a bad reputation, and not a single talented flash tuner for them. I think it's a Ford problem? IDK I'v been told by some of the industries best that the codes are easy to crack, just that nobody wan't to tune the trucks. They rather be the first to successfully tune a Dodge or use EFI LIVE on a D-max which happens to be the software cloned by everybody including BullyDog. I just turned this into a rant? Oh brother.:str:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts