Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm new here so I'll describe big red. When I figure out how and where to add pic I'll do so. 14' ram Cummins 2500 4×4. I've deleted all it's problematic and very expensive controls.
I find that this diesel rig is the most expensive one I've owned. The most reliable was a simple 6.2 Chevy 1 ton followed by 7.3 Ford. Those two never really had reliability issues.
Maybe others out there have noticed these things. At every turn it seems that I must put more money into this current truck just to keep it on the road. The latest is the CP4 problem. My truck has 161k on it now and I'm told I'm on borrowed time especially since it does not have an aftermarket lift pump/separator filter like AirDog or something comparable. Great, another 2500$with me doing the work.
I bought this truck with the power/mileage/longevity in mind. I'm not hating on my diesel, far from it.
Does anyone else out there have similar concerns or is it just me. Could have bought two gas rigs for what this one has cost.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Your 2014 already has the dual fuel filters, one on the drivers side frame rail and the other under the hood on the drivers side. You have been misinformed, as your 2014 CTD has the more reliable CP3 common rail injector pump. The CP4 didn't come out until the 2019-2020 models, and yes those are a disaster waiting to happen. FCA (Fiat Chrysler) had the good sense to go back to the CP3 in 2021 models. Any vehicle with 160K on the clock can have breakdowns, but I have seen these trucks with 700K and heard of them with north of 1 million miles. I don't know what tune you are running in your system, but a bad tune can cause reliability issues. For me it was a MiniMaxx with non-adjustable timing caused the head to lift in my 2011 CTD. A resurfaced/leveled head and new gasket fixed it, and a new ezlynk tow tune keeps the upper cylinder pressures at safe parameters. If your truck has been driven sensibly and serviced regularly you shouldn't worry about it. I change the Shell Rotella T4 oil every 5,000 miles, and I know some believe in running the oil 10K+ miles and they can if they want, and I change my truck's single fuel filter every 15K. I only have 86K on my truck and the oil stays fairly clean between changes, especially for a diesel engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts