Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2002 2500 5.9 and my truck almost overheated this morning it was low on coolant filled up the coolant and went home got home coolant leaking everywhere cant tell where its coming from how do i tell if the water pump is bad

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Coolant Issues!

i have a 2002 2500 5.9 and my truck almost overheated this morning it was low on coolant filled up the coolant and went home got home coolant leaking everywhere cant tell where its coming from how do i tell if the water pump is bad
Well doggone!!! That blows chunks! I feel for you. First try to trace the problem as best as you can. It might be something simple like a stuck thermostat that caused a gusher. you would notice because the thermostat housing would have coolant every where including under the hood. Thats the usual problem keep in mind when replacing a thermostat to test it with hot water. I know people that have bought one after another of bad thermostats.

To test the water pump you should take off the belt connected to it. and try and move it. If it free wheels you might have issues. If it is stuck and wont move you have issues, you'd notice because the belt would be broken or you would hear it whine. If it moves but with a little force to a bit more force? It kind of gives some resistance and then moves on you, and then you have to push hard to move it again. It more or less goes glub glub. It might be fine. I would still go buy a gasket kit and pull it apart and see if it is broken. what the worst that could happen? You have to put it back to gather.

Other things it could be is:
Thermostat housing gasket (I already stated it), water pump, heater return tube O-ring at the water pump, intake manifold gasket, and timing cover gasket. Do a complete inspection of the cooling system. Or take it to a reputable shop in your area.

Take your time on it and try to be thorough.

·
Registered
935 Posts
You can also use a cooling system pressure tester. Pressurise the cooling system to the proper pressure and start looking for leaks. That can also force where the leak is to show itself. Then check what rustin said.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts