Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm with Rol on this whole chip thing. I'm seeing alot of post regarding chips and high exhaust temps. I understand with some of these performance products you have to change the air intake system and exhaust when you make the modifications. I have a 4in stock on my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L -3rd gen Mega DRW pickup. My truck is not concerned with fuel prices or a recession :smiledown: It does fantastic with a Bully Dog Power Pup for power, but no change in MPG. Does anybody out there have the secret formula? Suggested was Smarty Jr, MBRP exhaust and AFE intake.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
So, I'm with Rol on this whole chip thing. I'm seeing alot of post regarding chips and high exhaust temps. I understand with some of these performance products you have to change the air intake system and exhaust when you make the modifications. I have a 4in stock on my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L -3rd gen Mega DRW pickup. My truck is not concerned with fuel prices or a recession :smiledown: It does fantastic with a Bully Dog Power Pup for power, but no change in MPG. Does anybody out there have the secret formula? Suggested was Smarty Jr, MBRP exhaust and AFE intake.
There really is no formula. Good tuning and quality parts make all the difference. Driving habits are a must, keep it below 2000 rpm. Tire inflation will help. You can do the Rokktech sensor and tone ring mod, it should help. Note: You should consult with an experienced Diesel tech before doing this mod. Getting 20-21 mpg highway for your truck is about average, and extremely good for your truck size. If you need more Fuel economy Then look into rear gearing, and aerodynamics. Tuning will only get you so far, driving habits and aerodynamics is the key.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2006 mpg

I'm not getting anywhere close to that kind of fuel mileage 11-12 city / 16-17 hwy mpg. I'm finding that is what people are telling me is normal. That Mega cab & fenders feel like it gets alot of wind resistance. Keeping it under 2000 rpms when possible. Good news is that the Bully Dog Power Pup does give it about 1 mpg and tons of power. The K&N filter has it feeling a little better, as well. I know these trucks have different personalities. Just thought with all the forums there would be some consistentcy in what it likes. If you change the exhaust, do you have to change the air intake?:4-dontknow:

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I'm not getting anywhere close to that kind of fuel mileage 11-12 city / 16-17 hwy mpg. I'm finding that is what people are telling me is normal. That Mega cab & fenders feel like it gets alot of wind resistance. Keeping it under 2000 rpms when possible. Good news is that the Bully Dog Power Pup does give it about 1 mpg and tons of power. The K&N filter has it feeling a little better, as well. I know these trucks have different personalities. Just thought with all the forums there would be some consistentcy in what it likes. If you change the exhaust, do you have to change the air intake?:4-dontknow:
Oh most definitely you will see a difference when changing your intake and exhaust systems. However keep in mind you have a truck that weighs in at around or over 3 tons. You will hardly see any gains with a stock system and a power puck.

I have some questions:

• What setting do you have your power puck on?
  • Is your truck all stock?
  • Do you have any gauges? If not you will need some!
  • Is your truck in good working order, no codes, Air cleaner and batteries all good?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts