Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whats the best chip for the buck?

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. Im Kind of new to the whole diesel truck world and would like to have a few questions answered involving possibly adding a chip to my 1999 dodge 2500 turbo diesel. I would like to purchase a chip that will increase my mileage,torque,hp...etc. but i need help on knowing what kind of chip you viewers might recommend.
1. What is the best chip to purchase for my make of truck?
2. What is the best chip for the best price. meaning like under 300.
3. What all do i need to make the chip work? is it as simple as just unstalling the chip itself? or do i need to make other purchase to make it work?
Thanks for the help!!
- Coje

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I prefer a Programmer. So far Smarty has decent structure. If I was going to the EDGE I would use some of the older Edge products. The new stuff is just not working out. Some of them have been known to cause high EGTs (exhaust gas temperatures) in stock vehicles, this is not good if you're towing up a grade. it has a tendency to force PCM in the truck to loose power and have you pull off so that things could cool down.

Interesting poll? I have no idea how to vote on it. Were you trying to post up certain products to get a reaction, or what? Kinda confusing.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Smarty will give you good low end power but only around 65hp. Edge Comp or EDWA will give you a smooth and dependable 150-165hp over stock.
Edge comp and juice are 120hp max on VP44 engines, hot unlock only adds rpm, no hp.

Coje, you will not find a chip under $300. I would either run a smarty like stated above, they will do 65hp and have great bottom end torque but tend to be hard on stock automatics. Edge comp/juice series are good for up too 120hp, and have five adjust on the fly settings. A weak vp44 injection pump can be killed by tapping the pump wire though with these chips, but that is very rare. Quadzilla also has some nice units but they do suffer a bit from quality control issues. I run a edge drag comp and smarty stack which works very well for me but it is not a daily driver tow vehicle set up for sure.

Oh rustin the edge high egts and not for this generation, they only affect the 03+ common rails. They can still get high but about the same as other chips of similar hp.

Most chips are fairly easy to install, the pyro probe is the most time consuming and difficult with to do on chips with one. Programers like smarty and very easy to install.

Also the most you want to add to a stock automatic in these years is about 80hp and no more then a 100hp with a manual. To much power and parts will fail fast. Plus you REALY need to upgrade your stock lift pump, dodge used terrible ones from the factory and they can barely keep up with a mild chip.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Oh rustin the edge high egts and not for this generation, they only affect the 03+ common rails. They can still get high but about the same as other chips of similar hp.
Good piont! I missed the year of the vehicle, thanks for redirecting the op.

Most chips are fairly easy to install, the pyro probe is the most time consuming and difficult with to do on chips with one. Programers like smarty and very easy to install.
Also the most you want to add to a stock automatic in these years is about 80hp and no more then a 100hp with a manual. To much power and parts will fail fast. Plus you REALY need to upgrade your stock lift pump, dodge used terrible ones from the factory and they can barely keep up with a mild chip.
Another good point! urbandiesel is no green horn.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just a green horn, so be nice. :)
I recently purchased a Smart Cortex (programer??) I plugged it in to the factory test port under the dash, did the program for fuel economy and am quite pleased with the results. Looks to be about 10% mpg increase. Is there any possibility that it could increase potential problems? My truck is a 2006 with a 5.9.

Thank you,

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Just a green horn, so be nice. :)
I recently purchased a Smart Cortex (programer??) I plugged it in to the factory test port under the dash, did the program for fuel economy and am quite pleased with the results. Looks to be about 10% mpg increase. Is there any possibility that it could increase potential problems? My truck is a 2006 with a 5.9.

Thank you,
Not to likely. Unless you're using race tunes without building your truck for the style of driving. However; if your truck started with problems it will mask them for a bit, and then it's to late.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Edge comp and juice are 120hp max on VP44 engines, hot unlock only adds rpm, no hp.

Coje, you will not find a chip under $300. I would either run a smarty like stated above, they will do 65hp and have great bottom end torque but tend to be hard on stock automatics. Edge comp/juice series are good for up too 120hp, and have five adjust on the fly settings. A weak vp44 injection pump can be killed by tapping the pump wire though with these chips, but that is very rare. Quadzilla also has some nice units but they do suffer a bit from quality control issues. I run a edge drag comp and smarty stack which works very well for me but it is not a daily driver tow vehicle set up for sure.

Ive seen 150hp over stock on many trucks..... this is on a Dyno.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Not to likely. Unless you're using race tunes without building your truck for the style of driving. However; if your truck started with problems it will mask them for a bit, and then it's to late.

Thanks, as far as is known, everything is up to par. I guess time will tell. I don't race or abuse it. 5000 lb max load, and that is rare. Mostly just a driver.

·
Registered
4 Posts
1999 Dodge Ram 3500 5.9L Diesel/chip

My friends bought that exact truck with an Edge w/ attitude programmer. The truck was already modified with an air intake and exhaust. It has alot of power and fun to drive but not great with fuel mileage.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts