Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an 04 3/4 ton diesel with 90k miles on it. No problems mechanically until yesterday. When I shut it off after driving to work I noticed a faint humming or whirring coming from the engine compartment. I didn't worry much about it until 20-30 minutes later when I came out again it was still going on. I raised the hood and the noise was much more distinct, like a small electric motor coming from the vicinity of the master cylinder. The only way I can get it to stop is to remove the positive cable from both batteries. Also, the brake light on my console will not go off.

Any ideas on this?

Tom

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Tom, Pull some fuses Intel the sound stops. Then cross reference what it was. Obviously this is an electrical problem. Afterwards have it scanned for codes. I/m not versed in Dodge electrical stuff but you might need to have your breaks serviced. So check levels and make sure your parking break is not broken.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I'm just thinking out loud here.... but it sounds like the electronic brake booster running on.
Have you noticed a difference in your braking performance?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I'm just thinking out loud here.... but it sounds like the electronic brake booster running on.
Have you noticed a difference in your braking performance?
Good question! Tom any leaks?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It turns out to be the ABS. I have temporarily disabled it until I can run some codes. Hopefully it will be something simple like a sensor.
Many thanks for the replies and suggestions. All the best,
Tom

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
It turns out to be the ABS. I have temporarily disabled it until I can run some codes. Hopefully it will be something simple like a sensor.
Many thanks for the replies and suggestions. All the best,
Tom
Glad to red this! Except the last part in bold! You make it sound like you needed ideas on your problem and then not come back?
You're coming back right?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes I will be coming back, though not for a bit. If things go as I hope I will be working 14-16 hour days for a while after months of extremely slow work. I will know pretty shortly. It seems like I am on the front lines of this lousy recession.
Again, thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Tom

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Yes I will be coming back, though not for a bit. If things go as I hope I will be working 14-16 hour days for a while after months of extremely slow work. I will know pretty shortly. It seems like I am on the front lines of this lousy recession.
Again, thanks for all your helpful suggestions.

Tom
Your welcome! and congrats on getting some much needed work! will be here for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts