Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
get your mind out of the gutter, you perverts!

back in January/February imeframe my batteries in my 1999 F250 died. So my wife went out and bought brand new Interstate Green Top Batteries. She got them installed. No problem for a few months now for the last few weeks she has come out to a dead truck. She would get it jump started, and the truck would show that it is charging the batteries, but alas a day or 2 later the batteries would be drained. She did notice the last few times she was hearing a buzzing sound as she would try to crank it over.

We were kind of leaning towards a bad Glow Plug Relay or possible bad grounds. AND YES MY ALTERNATOR IS NEW, AND SHOW THAT THEY ARE CHARGING THE BATTERIES!

Any suggestions or thoughts on where to look. I hope i dont have to replace $250.00 in batteries already...

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
DAMN !!!! That's got to be real embarrassing.. Oooops SORRY That's not the problem LOL
Well obviously there must be a small draw after the truck is turned off and the keys are in the house.
Hopefully this small buzzing noise might help lead you tho the culprit that's draining the batteries.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
The electrical system needs to be traced. It could be something easy, or extremely difficult to find. Have the batteries charged and hook it up to a scanner, and see if there are any codes? If not start with testing everything in plane site with a volt meter, and even if the alternator is new, i would usual test it, but you say it been done, so keep searching. now the buzzing sound where is that coming from? Electrical problems make me want to pull whats left of my hair out!

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Hey Gregg
Did you figure out what is making the buzzing noise after the keys are removed??
Is there anything in the truck that you can turn on that would normally not work with the key off??? (long shot)

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
well according to my advanced retarded detective skills, i have come up with the following:

recent white puffs of smoke at start up
+
extended time to get started
+
buzzing sound coming from engine compartment when key turned on
+
Recent dead batteries

equals

GLOW PLUG RELAY! a relay that is stuck open will continue to draw power, killing batteries.

plus since i found a replacement for $25.00 shipped, It wouldnt hurt to replace my, most likely, original oem relay.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
This is what makes this place some awesome... Lesson learned, I would have never guessed that

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Are you home yet?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Bout time! Now that its summer I might have to meet up with you somewhere. How much longer you have before you get out, or are you going to be a lifer?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Congrats! Out of all my friends I'm the only one that ended my contract. They are all scattered, but my original unit was tight. One is a master chief in the Navy, Another mustanged and is now a Captain in the Marines! One is a First sgt in a tank division in the ARMY. I don't have many Air force friends, and none that became lifers? Most wing nuts are out like me. Odd?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts