Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yep, sorry guys, but as I don't know much about diesels I figured I would come here and ask.

I've got an opportunity to buy a 1996 Ford F250 4x4. Of course everyone's got their own opinions, but from what I understand the 7.3 Powerstroke and the 5.9 Cummins were the best diesel engines ever made - since now the EPA is going ape s*** and making all these new rules.

Now this truck has 260,000 miles and has been well maintained. It was mostly used for highway commuting and towing a small horse trailer every now and then. It leaks no oil, runs fine, etc. Owner says the O rings(?) should be replaced on injectors but that's it. Interior is in good shape

Price for me is $6000. I wonder if this is worth buying. Sounds like it would be a great winter truck...but then again I'm nervous about getting into something that needs maintenance constantly, and from what I understand injectors on diesels cost a lot. Diesels can drive forever though....so an overhaul in another 250000 miles on this truck wouldn't be so bad

So what do you guys think about this? From doing a search on autotrader seems like the price is high, but it's also probably in much better condition than those trucks with comparable mileage on there

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I would say the price is a bit high. My early 99 ford is worth $6,000 on trade-in and it has 155,000 miles. But if it's clean and well maintained, then make a good decision. If the injector o-rings are going bad then good, but that usually means the cups are going to. If the injectors are fine then just replace the )-rings and cups. However, with that said you might as well have the old injectors tested while they are out of the truck. So it would be good to just replace the injectors or upgrade the injectors. Your pulling the heads anyway? The OBS (your 1996 truck) is still a solid truck and plenty to be done to it or kept stock. So a 250,000 mile Overhaul is good idea! then just run synthetic or regular oil and keep it changed regularly. If you become meticulous in your truck care you will not need another overhaul!

·
Registered
935 Posts
Rustins right. The body style for fords that year are great better looking than the newer for looks. And the 7.3L's are great motors.If i didn't have a 5.9 cummins,i'd have a ford with a 7.3L.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Rustins right. The body style for fords that year are great better looking than the newer for looks. And the 7.3L's are great motors.If i didn't have a 5.9 cummins,i'd have a ford with a 7.3L.
You're kidding right? you would own a OBS if you didn't purchase your current truck?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Thats my opiion rustin.I like the looks of the obs fords. I'm not really a fan of the new ford looks, but thats just me.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Thats my opiion rustin.I like the looks of the obs fords. I'm not really a fan of the new ford looks, but thats just me.
Huh? :smileup: I really thought you were a Ram all the way kinda person. This forum never ceases to amaze me. I think it was a little bit ago that I said I might own a new Ram.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Huh? :smileup: I really thought you were a Ram all the way kinda person. This forum never ceases to amaze me. I think it was a little bit ago that I said I might own a new Ram.
I am a ram guy,but i am also a ford guy.Your right,this site never ceases to amaze me,especially when you said you would think about buying a dodge with a cummins.:wow:I guess it will take time to have the new looks grow on me.
For your info, my first truck was a ford f-250 with a 7.3L. diesel.non turbo. Damn i miss that truck.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts