Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been doing some reading here and online. I am looking to start some mods on my 06. I understand the initial mods are usually 5" turbo back exhaust, intake to begin with. So I was reading on Banks' site and well I'm not in the same state as my truck and can't go look under the hood but...
What in the world is the Banks Monster Ram?

I'm thinking banks cold air from reading on here, any other thoughts?

What about 5" turbo back exhaust on a budget?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
935 Posts
Welcome to dieselforums
First banks monster ram is a bigger plenum,basickly it's the intake for the air into the engine.
Second,a cold air intake setup is great especially if pull heavy loads.It helps the engine breath better.
And as for the exhaust, you would do fine with a 4".The only difference between a 4" and 5" is a couple hp and the 5" is a louder.Also alot of people design and build their own exhaust setup if their on a buget.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great

Thanks for the information. What about a programmer on a budget. I really don't drive my truck all the time right now. I have a work truck that I drive most days to and from the office so my Dodge doesn't get a ton of miles on it. But when I do drive it I'm getting 15 city and 17 hwy. MPG was better before putting the Road Rhino bumpers on. Was getting 17/22 oops weight and arodynamics bit me in the behind a little. Would be great to get the truck back to 22 hwy.

When it comes to exhausts deleting the cat seems to be the goal but isn't it true that for a diesel having the muffler for back pressure is important?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
H&S Mini Max or a Smarty Jr.

They are not what I would say inexpensive but they fit the bill for what they are made for.

·
Registered
935 Posts
When it comes to exhausts deleting the cat seems to be the goal but isn't it true that for a diesel having the muffler for back pressure is important?

No it isn't true. That is a myth. Back pressure on a diesel isn't needed.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If I delete the cat and or the muffler (high flow muffler) and install a cold air intake would I need to add any gauges I keep reading where adding gauges are important but not getting why and for what.

·
Registered
935 Posts
If you wanted to just do the exhaust and intake I would say don't worry about the gauges. but if you were going to do any pulling then I would get an egt and tans. temp gauge if you have an automatic transmission.
The egt gauge will help keep an eye on pre turbo temps if you were going to tow with your truck.
And the trans. Temp helps keep an eye on the trans. Fluid temps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.