Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day gentlemen,

New to this forum and to Dodge Cummins ownership.

I just bought a 2007 3500 6spd manual with 50k miles. I plan to throw a relatively light weight pop-up camper on the back and tow a trailer with some race bikes in it. I'll probably be doing some off roading with the camper but sans trailer.

I've never owned a Dodge Ram, let alone full size truck, so had some questions for you guys if you don't mind answering.

1. What are the general issues I should be looking for in this generation (5.9L) Ram? Areas for rust, leakage, types of fuel to avoid etc.

2. Are there any mods that are a must have such as putting in manual locking hubs? (I understand the front axle is permanently locked so will wear less with manual hubs)

3. The factory warranty will be running out in 5 months, is it a good idea to get an extended warranty? These aren't cheap in Canada ~$4000 for another 80k and 5 years.

That's enough for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions over time. Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated.

Best
R

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Good day gentlemen,

New to this forum and to Dodge Cummins ownership.

I just bought a 2007 3500 6spd manual with 50k miles. I plan to throw a relatively light weight pop-up camper on the back and tow a trailer with some race bikes in it. I'll probably be doing some off roading with the camper but sans trailer.

I've never owned a Dodge Ram, let alone full size truck, so had some questions for you guys if you don't mind answering.

1. What are the general issues I should be looking for in this generation (5.9L) Ram? Areas for rust, leakage, types of fuel to avoid etc.

2. Are there any mods that are a must have such as putting in manual locking hubs? (I understand the front axle is permanently locked so will wear less with manual hubs)

3. The factory warranty will be running out in 5 months, is it a good idea to get an extended warranty? These aren't cheap in Canada ~$4000 for another 80k and 5 years.

That's enough for now. I'm sure I'll have more questions over time. Any help you guys can provide is much appreciated.

Best
R
Welcome! From Redding CA.

1. There were some fuel injector issues. Injector number 5 would need replacing. and some electricale issues. I'm sure the Dealer has taken care of those things for you during your maintenace visits.
  2. Manual hubs might be a good idea. This will increase ecoonomy by 3mpgs. How long do you think you can recoup $2,000?
  3. If your not planning on moddifying it for performance go for the extended warrantee.

I'm not sure if I have all of the information. So please ask questions.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts