Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1998 ram 12 valve cummins in a quad cab dually auto trans,today i went to the store all was ok went to start it up and it turned over but would not fire up tried over a 30 min. period finally it started i brought it home and parked it till it's fixed[i maintain this truck religously oil every 3000,fuel filter as required ect.I was planning to do my oil change tomorrow plus tranny and fuel filter [doing that early] only because it has seemed to be turning over a few seconds longer lately and running a little funky today drove it around all morning to yard sales it acted normal. I have read that the injector pump goes out in these between 95-150,000 miles i just turned over 150,000. i'm a back yard mechanic but don't know enough about diesels to troubleshoot.I'm guessing lift pump or injector pump any help will be apprecated.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Changed fuel filter [it was black] adjusted the idle stop, changed the oil [did not have anything to do with my prob. just due] seems to start and run ok we'll see tomorrow.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
BLACK! The fuel filter was black? What are you running in your fuel? You might want to test your fuel system, and see if you have good pressure before we start assuming stuff. I am interested in the fuel filter, need pics if possible. Was it gritty to the touch?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
No grit just black if you shook it the droplets when they hit the bucket were tinted black,i'll snap a photo tonight i did not throw it away. I plan to change the lift pump in the tank and the transfer pump soon after.I adjusted the idle stop screw to set the RPM's where they are supposed to be per the manual,going to check and or replace any rubber hoses between the tank and filter[may be some of the reason for the black color]i over shot the mileage on the fuel filter change going to change it more often.I use the same fuel station for the past several years never fuel up if tanks were refilled just prior.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Photos as requested like i said no grit a little sediment in bowl very little bowl clean no water or corrosion.Drove it to and from work today no issues got home let it sit about 30 mins. tried starting it fired right up while hot seems ok. Going to start changing filter every 6 months.

·
Registered
15 Posts
sounds like the people you're getting fuel from are giving you a little bit more than just diesel. Do you wait till you're almost empty before fill ups or do you do it with about a quarter tank left?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nope no less than half most times it's at 3/4 tank can't afford more than a half tank fillups with the price of diesel here i don't let it get too low.That filter was installed at 130,000 miles i have 150,500 on her now i screwed up my math when i wrote up my maintance records.Before fueling i ask when they had their tanks filled last [hopefully they answer honestly yea right] if they receved fuel within the last few hours i don't fuel up i'll come back later let it settle down.We are going to start a 6 month changing routine just to be safe.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Ya that is the best bet. If you let it run low on fuel a lot it prob be the pump, but i mean if the filter did the trick god bless let it be just that and nothing major. How has it been running since the filter swap?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Drove it to and from work today fires up fine drives/runs fine 4 inch straight pipe is as obnoxious as always, crossin my fingers she don't get the flu again can't afford an injection pump right now then my old 66 cuda would be my daily driver don't want to do that but if need be sometimes ya gotta say WTF.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Keep good fuel in that beast. i know what you mean when my 6.0 ford blew up, my 79 t/a was my daily and as awesome as it is to drive it i was miserable. I work in a shop and was so scared to stain the seats i just redid haha. You have any pictures of the cuda

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you, basicly unrestored just a cosmetic restoration in 1996, 80% orig. factory air car. 273cid auto.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Jeeze! I need to keep better track of the threads I subscribe to! Nice pics!

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Now thats an excellent Color for the power-plant!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The charger will be gunmetal gray, no chrome, engine my stay that color it's up to my son thanks for the comments.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts