Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Vendor
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So which is your favorite - the 6.0L or the 7.3L? Why?

I get asked that question all the time and have my own take on it, but would like to know your opinion and reasons.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
I love them both! the 7.3l (T444E) is just a good all around power-plant. If one takes good care of it it will last well into the 500,000+ miles.

The 6.0l (VT366) received a bad rap.
1. Poor head clamping design.
2. It was not engineered to the poor US diesel fuel. It was originally designed in Europe, because they have a more stringent emissions standard. California got all but hurt and .... Thats an entirely different story, but it was the first of the big three to meet the requirements then when the push for emissions started to unfold. the old 7.3l just could not make it.

I believe the 6.0 to be a good performance engine.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Ok now that all the respectful info is out now I am going to start and give you exactly what you want to here! Thank's Luke for being the first!

WARNING!
This is only an opinion, I am not calling anybody out. This is only my opinion. In an event that you get upset Remember this crap don't mean anything! It is only opinion!
Thank you!

So I am a true T444E affectionate, that mean I like them!
It has:
1. More cubic inches
2. Low cost in repairs compared to the VT366
3. More selection in performance parts for the older power-plant, altho this is changing.
4. Easy modification to the older power-plant.
5. No EGR!
6. Much stronger power plant, with the exception of some of the ones that had PMR rods in the 2000.5-2003.
7. If you keep it stock and care for it, it will last well over 500,000 miles without an overhaul.
9. I am running out. Oh wait you could run bio-diesel in the 444 provided you don't go over b-20 and you have a proper mix.
There are more of these older power plant running well on straight veggie oil, and doing well!
10. I just ran out!

Ok thats all I have.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
So which is your favorite - the 6.0L or the 7.3L? Why?

I get asked that question all the time and have my own take on it, but would like to know your opinion and reasons.
Whats your answer?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
The 5R100 transmission is also much better than the 4R100.
I say forget both of them! I go with a ZF-6 anytime! Better fuel economy and with trends of hypermiling it is a must, or if you'r doing pull comps. Even then most People go for the auto. Maybe because they are lazy or can't drive a stick!

·
Registered
543 Posts
I like my 6.0. I really like the power it puts out and the ability to tune it easily. Yes they have their known issues, but if managed properly, they can be a NASTY beast. The 7.3 is "reliable", but it seems to me, that it takes a lot more money to get the power out of them that you can get from a 6.0.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
OBS trucks don't come with a 6.0... 7.3 FTW!
First of all I have no clue what FTW means? Fort Worth maybe? I am serious I don't know what it means.:kap: And now I am confused I thought we were talking about which was better 7.3l or 6.0l Ford PowerStoke Diesel Power-plants. and sure most OBS (Old Body Style for those that don't know) came with 7.3l IDI or 7.3l PowerStrokes. And then some of the older OBS came with 6.9l IDI. Don't get me wrong those older power-plants are still great, but not much can be done with them. Putting a turbo on is one of the best ideas ever. I have seen one with a BDS supercharger system on.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Sponsor Chalenge on Cost of modifications.

I like my 6.0. I really like the power it puts out and the ability to tune it easily. Yes they have their known issues, but if managed properly, they can be a NASTY beast. The 7.3 is "reliable", but it seems to me, that it takes a lot more money to get the power out of them that you can get from a 6.0.
Thats a good debate subject. I am not sure, for the economic value of modifications between the two. Parts for either power-plants is not cheap. I think we need a sponsor to let us know of the cost break down between the two.
Just the basics. No need to put up prices just percentage differences on similar to same products for the two.
Intake
Exhaust
Flash tuner or the like (ie Chips and control mods).
HPOPs
And any other extra parts between the two to get them to the stated HP.
This is for a mildly tuned truck, not to exceed 375hp.
There the gauntlet has been slammed. Lets see some numbers!:att:

·
Registered
543 Posts
First of all I have no clue what FTW means? Fort Worth maybe? I am serious I don't know what it means.:kap:
FTW = For The Win

Thats a good debate subject. I am not sure, for the economic value of modifications between the two. Parts for either power-plants is not cheap. I think we need a sponsor to let us know of the cost break down between the two.
Just the basics. No need to put up prices just percentage differences on similar to same products for the two.
Intake
Exhaust
Flash tuner or the like (ie Chips and control mods).
HPOPs
And any other extra parts between the two to get them to the stated HP.
This is for a mildly tuned truck, not to exceed 375hp.
There the gauntlet has been slammed. Lets see some numbers!:att:
I agree with you, I would really like to hear from a vendor on this.:smileup:

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
FTW = For The Win

I agree with you, I would really like to hear from a vendor on this.:smileup:
Ah. Thanks for the definition.
Do any of the vendors know about this?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
No vendors posting? What the heck did we do wrong?

·
Registered
8 Posts
First of all I have no clue what FTW means? Fort Worth maybe? I am serious I don't know what it means.:kap: And now I am confused I thought we were talking about which was better 7.3l or 6.0l Ford PowerStoke Diesel Power-plants. and sure most OBS (Old Body Style for those that don't know) came with 7.3l IDI or 7.3l PowerStrokes. And then some of the older OBS came with 6.9l IDI. Don't get me wrong those older power-plants are still great, but not much can be done with them. Putting a turbo on is one of the best ideas ever. I have seen one with a BDS supercharger system on.
Sorry to confuse you. As someone else posted it means "For the win"

I really like the OBS as a truck and the 7.3(DI) for reliability but I have respect for 6.OHs for the power they make. The technology in a 6.0 is much better than a 7.3. The engine is more efficient and is make less emissions. The downside is the oil coolers and the stock EGR stuff.

·
Registered
317 Posts
combine em? 6.7??????
hahahahah
just kidding man, go for what ever one you like, i always here bad things about 6.0s if they have not had the studs fixed but after that they usually are good from what i hear, the 7.3s have always been good from what i hear again...

·
Registered
2 Posts
7.3l for overall durability and basic workhorse nature as it came from the factory. 6.0l (if issues are addressed) if speed and ease of tuning is the main focus.

·
Registered
3 Posts
most 7.3 are getting long in the tooth you can still find trucks withthe 6.0 with low miles
all the 7.3s ive shopped around for most are well intothe 200k miles range some 300k
i know diesels last longer then gas but still when i go buy a vehicle im not gonna pay that top dollar price they want for a vehicle with over 200k miles i dont care if the block is made of adamantium

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
most 7.3 are getting long in the tooth you can still find trucks withthe 6.0 with low miles
all the 7.3s ive shopped around for most are well intothe 200k miles range some 300k
i know diesels last longer then gas but still when i go buy a vehicle im not gonna pay that top dollar price they want for a vehicle with over 200k miles i dont care if the block is made of adamantium
Before the entrance of the DPF. I have seen many trucks still on the road way past 500,000 mile mark. An overhaul every 250,000 is all thats needed. I have seen some that never had an overhaul still do well. It comes down to care, and the quality of that care to the vehicle.

200,000 miles is nothing to snort at. I don't even consider a diesel broke in till it's past 100,000.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts