Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i'll try to keep this short....
just bought a 2004 superduty 6.0l auto with 160km off a ford dealership. came in on trade. the dealership has just replaced the egr cooler, degas bottle was empty. no oil cooler replaced, still has original TTY head bolts. My question is....and hoping some of the experienced folks chime in....i'm planning on installing arp studs, a new oe oil cooler at the very least, maybe an aftermarket one, coolant filter assy, and tuner/monitor, small chip for towing, maybe exhaust. Do I do an egr delete, or just install a good aftermarket egr cooler? my concern is that the dealer replaced the part that failed, but the problem may be a plugged oil cooler? as far as i can tell based on the maintenance history, it still has the original oil cooler. as i plan to do this right, and only once, please advice if i'm missing anything. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
543 Posts
First question... do you have to have emission testing done where you live? If you do not, I would suggest doing an EGR delete. If you do, then you have a couple options. You can a keep the stock EGR cooler and add a coolant filter kit. I would also suggest getting an SCT for a tuner and get some custom tunes. I highly recommend Matt from Gearhead Automotive. You can get a performance tune, which actually gives better mpg than stock, as well as 2 tow tunes for around $100. His SRL, the performance tune, will turn the EGR valve off. If you get studs installed, then you can even step up to his SRL++ tune, which provides a little more power and boost.

Ok, now to talk about what to do with the oil cooler. If I had the money, I would replace the oil cooler with one from Bullet Proof Diesel and do an EGR delete if you don't have to worry about emissions, or replace the EGR cooler as well with one from Bullet Proof.

From the research I have done, a stock oil cooler from Ford is on back order for awhile and hard to come by, if you do find one, I am sure it is going to be pricey. Don't take chances, just Bullet Proof it!!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts