Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having troubles with the 30 amp ignition run fuse blowing as soon as the key is turned to the start position. I have traced the cable from the battery to the starter for any type of short as the smaller wire that runs from the solenoid up to the fuse box. Both look ok, and was not able to get continuity between either to ground when disconnected from the battery and the starter. Any ideas on where to look next would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I kinda figured it is a short, but haven't been able to find it. I have checked both wires coming off of the starter back to the battery and to the fuse distribution panel and they check fine. From there I have no idea where to look to continue checking. I talked with a local mechanic today and he said to check the starter relay to see if it was shorted. Just forgot to ask him how to check it. Any one know how to check a relay?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Get a schematic on your rig. Any Chiltons or the like will have one. or try and find a service manual. If it's not the relay, I'd think it could be in the starter switch.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Finally found the short. the wire that runs from the starter relay to the starter was arcing at the starter. Replaced the connector with an insulated on and the problem is fixed.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
SWEET! Glad to read this!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts