Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 01 24 valve cummins. for the most part this truck has been pretty relyable. the only thing that was wrong with it was a old O ring in the fuel filter im too lazy to fix which could be the problem. but when its cold, or at least happens most when its cold. it wants to or will die. i have the biggest tires you can fit on it with XD addicts. so i can understand it dieing cold with such big tires. but not just dieing when pulled up to a stop sign. i hope its not the vp ive always had a fear of that sence i bought it if someone can single that out ud make me pretty happy. but idk what it is i did all the work on it but im not very good at figuring out a problem on a truck. its got 200k miles so problems are exspected. idk if the idle is 2 low or the mass airflow unit is going out. please dont write what u guess it is please have some back ground on ur awnser cus im fixing it on a soilders budget. so im limited. if you need to know anything else ill check in for awnsers and write back as soon as possible

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Just so you know nobody can properly diagnose a vehicle unseen through a forum (period end of story). Most are guessing and do have experience so they might come up with a solution. I'm fully aware of your economic situation, some of us are in the same situation. We will do what we can to help.

Welcome to the forum and Semper Fidelis!

We do need more information, so here are my questions to you:
Have you scanned it for codes?
Have you tested your fuel pressure (and I mean before the pump, after the pump, before the fuel filter after, the fuel filter)? We need to know if your adequately getting fuel to the injectors.
Do you have a Chiltons or Hanes or a shop manual?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i havnt test fuel pressure, i have no codes. i dont have the book. but like idk what it is. cus everytime i start it i have to put on the gas to get the air out of my fuel filter sence it leaks in after the fuel pressure in the filter drops, really need to change that o ring but its so damn cold. once it warms up its fine. its in happy cummins mode lol. but its embarressing having this flossy of a truck and it looking like i cant drive a stick or something. i let it warm up to 110 before i ever take off so i know thats not the problem. it could just be the fuel filter clogged up but i wouldnt think that would change after its warmed up idk how to check the fuel pressure tho, the knowledge of stuff i can do on a diesel or any car is ****ed up lol, i can do a egr diesel on a 6.0 and a injecter turbo job on a cummins but ill never understand how to hook up hids or a bd rad, i know im probly not much help.. but i did anwser ur questions the best i could.. i blew out the oil return to my turbo a few weeks ago but i only lost 2 quarts of oil, but i dont think that would have caused any damage. that was lucky right as i pulled in my drive it blew off

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Go to a reputable shop.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts