Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
looking at a 2011 Turbo Diesel Cummins it has like 34k miles on it! Right now i own a 1500 but can some of you tell me the big difference other then the engines but parts Differential all the parts that mattter are these parts stronger in the 2500 or is it just the frame? and is it TRUE that these Diesel trucks last long then the Gas? i wouldnt be doing any BIG pulling its just a truck i want, my Hemi is geting 12mpg in city. Iam sure it gets a litle better gas mileage

they want 38k for it is this a good price?

Thanks all

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
It's hard to give you a fare opinion on your possible truck purchase with out seeing in person. If you want a fare, professional opinion? Find yourself a unbiased (neutral) mechanic to give it a quick look over during your test drive.
I wouldn't buy it if somebody on a diesel social forum say "buy it"

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
It's hard to give you a fare opinion on your possible truck purchase with out seeing in person. If you want a fare, professional opinion? Find yourself a unbiased (neutral) mechanic to give it a quick look over during your test drive.
I wouldn't buy it if somebody on a diesel social forum say "buy it"
Thats is sound advice right there! I could not agree more!

I will say this to answer some of your questions. Do your home work, and yes with proper maintenance a diesel will out last and out perform your HEMI. And with the right tuning it will pass that HEMI on the strip. It will have better fuel economy provided you drive reasonably.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yes your so right , but i was looking for a neutral answer like you reall cant go wrong with a diesel . maybe the guy was a sales men and just drove it! Or For a diesel those miles wont hurt it and that is a good price.. But anyways this dealer ship let me take home for test drive a truck like mine! A 2012 quad cab 1500 BIG HORN we got them down to 31k the truck is very nice , but now i am thinking about my old truck i have 13 payments left on it. what do i do it does need some work if i keep it.. maybe 3000 dollars of work or more! DO i need a Diesel ? they say they last long time! I guess these forums are useless:4-dontknow:!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
unbiased answer?

diesels generally last on average 2-3 times the amount of miles as a gasoline motor.

diesel trucks generally have heavier duty suspensions than gas trucks due to the additional weight of the motor.

diesel trucks generally get better fuel mileage than a similar truck with a gas motor due to a more complete and efficient combustion process.

in other words.. 38k miles isnt shit for a cummins diesel.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
unbiased answer?

diesels generally last on average 2-3 times the amount of miles as a gasoline motor.

diesel trucks generally have heavier duty suspensions than gas trucks due to the additional weight of the motor.

diesel trucks generally get better fuel mileage than a similar truck with a gas motor due to a more complete and efficient combustion process.

in other words.. 38k miles is nothing for a Cummins diesel.
Dang IT! I have to spread the points around again! You need a rep for that. With exception of that Four letter word you used.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I can't compare a Hemi with a Cummins...
But I can compare a Chevy gasser with a Duramax.

Night and day... I guess that's why the Duramax is so much more expensive then the gasser

It is commonly understood either truck will last a long time if you throw enough money at it.
But YES a diesel will go further between rebuilds or over haul then the gas engine.
And during that life time the diesel can work like a dog compared to the gasser.

The 3/4 ton or 1 ton trucks are built with larger and heavier parts this doesn't make them immune from waring out. With HD parts come the added weight. With added weight, comes the requirement of regular maintenance.

Maintenance is a little more expensive. Your Hemi would take 5 or 6 quarts for an oil change. Your diesel will take 9 or 10

Don't let anybody tell you differently
The diesel truck is a little more expensive to opperate then the 8 cylinder gasser.

Hope this helps.
Feel free to ask any more questions u may have

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well thanks in2trux! I guess it wasnt my time to buy a Diesel yet! i drove a 2010 turbo diesel with 38k miles they want 40k for it! i want my payments in the low 400s so this wasnt working out! SO i eneded up with a 2012 BIG HORN HEMI !! the gas mileage is so much better then my 04 its crazy! so rightnow i am happy this will pull 10k, right now my sailboat is only 2,000 bls to pull, later when i upgrade it will be 7k this might be enough for now.. Thanks to you guys i think i am saving some money for now! this is what i got...

http://www.haaszautomall.com/?p=Det...rim&vehicle=2012-Ram-1500-&desc=2012+Ram+1500

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Congratulations on your new purchase.
VERY NICE rig. I bet it is going to serve you well.

Don't let your hemi cause you to be a stranger.
Come back and visit and show us pictures of your mods on your truck

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok thanks again but I will always turn my head when I hear a commins passing me ! Wonder how much different they will be in 6 years?

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Glad to see my work is done here.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts