Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys just checking in with you all to see if anyone else is experiencing a "steering grunt" noise when turning to the right at low speeds.. My truck seems to make the noise at random..I have not had it back to the dealers yet for it but was looking for a heads up before I take it in..
Thanks again and this is a great new forum.

·
Registered
44 Posts
my buddy's 4th gen does have a noise like that every once in a while...and the pullies squeak up front when it's cold out

·
Premium Member
63 Posts
Hi guys just checking in with you all to see if anyone else is experiencing a "steering grunt" noise when turning to the right at low speeds.. My truck seems to make the noise at random..I have not had it back to the dealers yet for it but was looking for a heads up before I take it in..
Thanks again and this is a great new forum.
Yes, my 2011 does the same thing once in awhile. It is when I turn the wheel to the right it makes I guess what you mentioned a grunt.

·
Registered
44 Posts
James!!!! so happy to see ya here

·
Registered
160 Posts
I will look into this and see what I can find out guys:)

·
Registered
160 Posts
There is a Tech Tip regarding a Steering Honk during low speed manuvers.

Power Steering Honk

Customers may complain of a honk noise during low speed parking lot maneuvers. If you have this complaint, please perform the following:

1) verify the steering column intermediate shaft boot is in position and not making noise from rubbing on the shaft. If so, adjust it appropriately and verify the noise is no longer present.

2) If the noise is still present, perform a steering system bleed procedure outlined in the service manual and verify the noise is no longer present.

3) If the noise is still present, replace the steering gear and bleed the system and verify the noise is no longer present

·
Registered
160 Posts
My pleasure bro. Always glad to help when I can :smileup:

·
Registered
317 Posts
i have heard other cars do a similar thing when turning sharply at low speeds, most are a squeel to me...

·
Registered
44 Posts
there's gonna be a recall out on the 4th gens next month on a tie rod or something else up front...you may want to check that out...

·
Registered
4 Posts
I to have actually heard a noise on my 2010 ram diesel as well. But i find it happen more often when i counter steer a slow speed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2010 does the same thing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts