Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you guys know if the 99 dsl came with the catalytic converter? The truck I have now is a NM truck and no emissions are required and it has no muffler or cat. The truck might be registered in AZ in the future and I need to know what I will need to pass AZ emissions

·
Registered
935 Posts
Most 99's did have cats and mufflers. The last owner probably removed them.As for az. emmisions, i'm not sure.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Depends on the manufacturer and the emission standards of your state. You will have to go through a dealer to find out your answer through your vin if you had a Catalytic converter. For example: My Early 1999 F-250 has a Catalytic converter because it has a Manual Transmission. If it were an automatic it would not have a catalytic converter.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
just go buy the magnaflow high flow diesel cat. i am not sure what size exhaust you have, but I assume 4". I used it, and passed the sniffer test.

BTW Rustin that is wrong. I had an E99 with an automatic, and my truck was equipped with a cat from the factory. thats why i needed to get one.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Do you guys know if the 99 dsl came with the catalytic converter? The truck I have now is a NM truck and no emissions are required and it has no muffler or cat. The truck might be registered in AZ in the future and I need to know what I will need to pass AZ emissions

If you just bought it... I'm assuming your gonna get a safety check for plates and insurance.
Ask your mechanic. Ultimately he has the last say whether your truck has to have the CAT reinstalled.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Why wouldn't yours have a cat convertor if it was an auto rustin?
For some weird reason most automatics didn't have a Cat in most states.

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
just go buy the magnaflow high flow diesel cat. i am not sure what size exhaust you have, but I assume 4". I used it, and passed the sniffer test.

BTW Rustin that is wrong. I had an E99 with an automatic, and my truck was equipped with a cat from the factory. thats why i needed to get one.
You're one of the rare ones. Most of the people that I know don't. and here in CA. They are not required from 1999 to about 2000

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
If you just bought it... I'm assuming your gonna get a safety check for plates and insurance.
Ask your mechanic. Ultimately he has the last say whether your truck has to have the CAT reinstalled.
Best advice given there, I thought I posted that? Anyway I second this.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 99, I can honestly say that the emissions information from the state of Texas does not give details about this year model. A few times I have inspected this truck, the inspection station attempts to call the dealer for info, "yea right"...LOL
I have nothing but a 3" flow master on this old truck.
As for Az., your going to get a sniff test, so beware. What your truck came with really is not a Cat at all, its more of a particulate filter.
If your truck blow black crap everwhere, you wont pass in AZ..

·
Banned
1,488 Posts
Sounds about right. They are going to be cracking down on us all soon.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts