Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

Help! Broken glowplug removal

4K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  UKwildcat 
#1 ·
I have a 2006 LBZ with only 20,000 miles on it that I bought from the original owner about 5 years ago. I thought I would do a little preventative maintenance today and remove all the glow plugs to place a little no-seize on them to prevent this very scenario from happening.

As you can see, 1 out of the first 4 snapped on me. My first question is does it look like from the attached picture that I may have debris in the cylinder? My second question, is there a special "broken glow plug removal kit" on the market for the 10 x 1.25 glow plugs used in the Duramax? And if yes, has anyone used it with success? Any advice would be much appreciate as I'm trying to avoid a $4K cylinder head removal job. :doh:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
The good news is I started the truck up and there was no debris dropped into the cylinder. Here's a pic of the current situation. I started with a larger ez out, but I never could get enough bite into the glow plug shaft. The smaller ez out seems to work better, but the last socket on the back to work was a 4.5 mm. It now spins on the back of the ez out. I've since went to vice grips, but they slip before breaking the glow plug loose.

I tried heating the base of the glow plug with an oxygen & acetylene torch with no luck either. I just plan to keep spraying PB blaster and trying to turn the ez out over the next few days. Here's pic of the ez out embedded inside the glow plug shaft.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.