Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

How Best to Improve MPG of my 2012 Ram Diesel

30K views 20 replies 11 participants last post by  nicktwaltz 
#1 ·
I am looking to improve the MPG on my 2912 Ram 2500 6.7 diesel. I am new to diesel engines and would like to know the best way to accomplish this without nullifying my new truck warranty? Also what sort of increase should I expect and how much will I expect to pay for this upgrade?:kap:

#2 ·
In my experience there is NOT a hole lot we're allowed to do with out pissing off the warranty gods.
Your best bet is to talk to your warranty rep and he/she can best give you Dodge approved up grades.
Or drive it like you have a full glass of water on the dash.

Something to look forward to... after warranty there lots of tunes for your truck to give improved MPG and CAI w/exhaust to help it breath better for improved MPG

#4 ·
That depends on the dealer. If they install it then you will still have a warranty. But you will be hard pressed to find one that will. You could ask them of a list of approved power adders for your truck. Other then that it depends on if you can do it your self and revert it back to stock if there is ever an issue that requires Ram to fix it under warranty.

#5 · (Edited)
I have a MYTH
Please be patient with me while I try to explain.
Maybe Rustin can help confirm or bust the myth.

The myth is.. simply THERE IS NO CHIP OR PROGRAM A DEALER CAN'T DETECT.

Now I will paint the picture. A buddy of mine had a 2011 Silverado 1ton
He had a Quadzilla chip that he swore the dealership couldn't detect.
He would flash his truck back to stock and take it in on warranty work. Then put his Qzilla back in after the work.

He later ended up loosing his remaining 3 yr drivetrain warranty cause they detected his tune.

One mechanic told me the ECM has a memory, it will remember the last 10 perimeter changes. Buddys mistake was flashing back to stock in the dealership's parking lot before warranty work. (It invalved some fishing through the scanner to find)

Buddy says it wasn't detected and is not detectable.. He says, somebody told the dealership he had a chip in his new truck.

Myth There is no UNDETECTABLE CHIP
Removing a chip or flashing the ECM back to stock doesn't necessarily protect you from warranty violations

#7 ·
Sorry we weren't able to be of any help... but each dealership seems to deal with things differently.
Give yours a try. See what they will do for you.
To be honest, most people don't buy diesels for their economical penny pinching feature :)

#9 ·
i too am in search of better MPG,s, I just ordered an Afe Pro dry CAI system, at the recommendations of other cummins users. this will not void the warantee. The Massy Furgison act explains all that stuff.
I am also looking into the EGR/DPF delete with the H & S Tuner, im going to contct the dealer, as I have heard some will still do the warantee work. keep my fingers crossed i guess on that one.

#11 ·
I'm with CCrider on this one I just Picked up my new 2012 3500 cummins and Am to looking for Fuel economy and performance improvements that will not only Not void the warranty but will be Cali OK. Which my assumption means Very Limited options.. My questions are as follows
1) is there a Cali Smog Compliant CIA?
2) is there a Cali Compliant Exhaust System
3) is there a tuner is that doesnt void the warranty?
4) do i need to "MOVE" to Oregon!! LOL..

#15 ·
Agreed... I don't know of one that is undetectable either

#16 ·
Change the Factory Air Box to FREE Flow air filter, add a chip that does not mount permanently to the truck, and change the exhaust from the cat back to allow free flow. I have a 2007 with a 6.7 that gets 31 mpg (Imperial) with a BD chip, just looking at the other threads that have stated that BD has started a $250 fee to change vehicles when you have started with Ram Power, not good and will cost BD sales. I tow a 10,000 5th wheel with a 2500 6.7 Auto and get 14.5 mpg Imperial through the Rockies, like the power I get with the BD tuner....

#17 ·
I do my own tuning and have ability to use laptop to change out ecm messages, just something to look at, if you want to cheat big brother, you have to be willing to spend a few dollars more and have a little IT knowledge to get there, as they all say not all tuners are undetectable, but if you know how to fool the ecm you have a little in your favor, best bet is to detach battery for 24 hours, and this will erase most events for the last week, unless you have done a big boboo.

#20 ·
Mine is a 2500 w/ the 6.7 as well. Basically looks like minimums are: intake, exhaust, programmer... How much gains do I get from upgrading the intake manifold?
What are the thoughts/ recommendations on different brands of air intake systems? pros/cons?
Preferences on type of programmer? pros/cons?
Any other advice to get the ball rolling?

#21 ·
Engine fan

Hello, I recently bought a 2012 Dodge Ram 2500 ST Cummins and deleted and tuned it. One thing I've noticed about the truck is that it seems to run its engine fan rather excessively, even when it was stock. The coolant level was a little low so I filled it up to the max cold level on the reservoir thinking that it would fix my problem but it hasn't. The water temp is normally anywhere from 200-208 and the truck never warns me about high water temp or low coolant level. The engine fan will kick on and off so I know it's not a fan clutch that's gone out. Also, I haven't found any water leaks and I blow out my radiator regularly. Does anybody have any suggestions on what the issue may be and what to do about it? Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.