Diesel Forum - All Diesel Forum banner

Ram2500 Diesel hard starting issue

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  DT86 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to the whole diesel thing. But I love my Ram. Here is the issue. First let me tell you what I have. 2002 Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel, 24 valve 5.9L all stock except the lift pump and added fuel pressure gauge on the dash. About a year and a half ago, the stock lift pump went out, in turn so did the VP44. I replaced the lift pump with an Air Dog FP100 FASS and FWSS (water) system. The new VP44 showed no problems but went out 3 months ago. I thought I hadn't changed the fuel filter soon enough and so bought a new VP44 and a fuel gauge this time for the dash. The second VP44 almost immediately started having hard starting issues. The fuel pressure is good at 15 to 16 PSI all the time. The problem with starting was random and intermittent. The pump failed in 30 days. I sent it back and they sent me a new one under warranty. Now 1 month later, I have the same hard starting issues. Before this one goes out, can someone please tell me what the issue might be? The longer it sits, the harder to start. Like it is loosing the stored pressure in the lines. There are no fuel leaks.

Thanks
Rick

#2 ·
If your losing fuel psi over night it’s because you have an air leak meaning the fuel system is sucking air it’s common to happen and the fuel filter head either at the inlet/outlet or even where the filter screws in usually because someone gets a little over zealous when tightening or breaking an old filter loose cuz the last guy didn’t put a drop of clean oil on the seal or it hasn’t been changed in over a year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.